Monday, March 29, 2010

Genetics Appointment

We made another trip to Birmingham today for the appointment with the geneticist. We had some of our questions answered and realized this is going to be a longer process than we originally thought! When we got to downtown B-ham, we had to take little detours as we looked for the correct parking deck due to road work. When we finally found the parking deck, we had to walk about a block to our building.We ended up coming out differently than we came in and got lost! We ended up walking about two blocks to find our building! I would love to see how we would do w/ a map in NYC since we got lost in B-ham! Once we got into the genetics clinic, my hair was everywhere, Caroline was crying, and I felt very disorganized!

This is what we came out of the appointment knowing:
* They do NOT have a genetic disorder that is also related to a physical deformity.
* There are more genetic disorders that have been discovered that isn't Connexin 26 (SC has already been cleared for that).
* They are going to order a CT scan for Sara Catherine because there is a genetics disorder where the inner ear is not properly formed.
* Any future child has a 1 in 4 chance in having hearing loss.
* The probability doesn't change if it were a boy.
* If they can figure out what genetic disorder they have, we will know more about their future as far as if it will get any worse.

So, for now, we will wait on the CT scan and review the girls' audiograms. If the CT scan and auidograms do not reveal anything, then they will probably do more blood work.

Something funny about this appointment: The nurse asked Ronnie and me if we were blood related! She said they have to ask all of their patients that question. Of course, I was laughing and said NO!! Then the doctor came in and asked if we were from the same small town because way down the line we may have had the same kin folks! About that time, I start laughing and about to say No, and Caroline "toots" so loud as I'm holding her. I thought great this doctor thinks I just passed gas and that's why I'm laughing!

Something Creepy about this trip: We stopped at a gas station on the Bass Pro Prattville exit on the way home so I could feed Caroline. While I was feeding her, Ronnie ran in the store to get us something to drink. I noticed a man walk passed the door to the store and turn around and went in. I thought something about that was really odd. Well, about a minute later Ronnie walks out and the man is right behind him. We had parked away from the gas pumps (still in good sight), and no other cars were around. It was very obvious he was walking up to Ronnie. I am looking at Ronnie and pointing behind him telling him to TURN AROUND!!! When Ronnie turns around, he seemed kind of startled. The man apologized for walking up on him and went into some long spill about how he needed some money because a truck pulling a trailer was across the street at the hotel and he and his father-in-law needed to get it to Greenville but it was broke down. He kept rambling, and his story made no sense! I couldn't hear everything he was saying because we were in the car with the doors locked! I did hear Ronnie tell him that he didn't have any money! We never carry cash (not that Ronnie would have given it to him)! Ronnie waited for him to get in a car with a man and drive off before getting in the car. We watched them drive down the road to another gas station and then further down the road. We decided to see if there was a truck w/a trailer at the hotel across the street...and there was not! We talked about the fact that he probably wanted drug money, but what if it he was an angel, and God was testing us? We came to the conclusion that God knows we do not carry cash, and something about this guy was shady!

So, that was our day in a nutshell! Oh, the Easter Bunny was also able to do a little shopping for these two sweet girls:

Wild Thing!

I attached this toy to her car seat, and she loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment