Sunday, January 17, 2010

Is Chivalry Dead?

I think the answer to my question is no, but it is definitely on the endangered list! As I get closer and closer to my due date, I am trying to spend good quality time with Ronnie and Sara Catherine. She hasn't been going to preschool but once a week so I can soak up all of the time left as "just us." Ronnie and I went on a date last night because we do not know when our next one will be, and we want to spend next weekend with just SC for the last time!! I have heard that it is very normal to get emotional when I think about this being the last week with just Sara Catherine. I can remember the last night it was just Ronnie and me and how I cried a little bit because it would never be the 2 of us again! Now, I can't remember life without Sara Catherine! Many people have told me that is how it will be when Caroline gets here. I definitely have mixed emotions. I am so ready to hold her and kiss her, but I also get emotional thinking about this is the last week as just a family of 3.

So why did I ask the question is chivalry dead?? Last night we went out to eat in Dothan, and the restaurant was packed! Most people did not want to wait outside since it was raining which made the entrance way very crowded. As we put our name on the waiting list and tried to find a place to stand without getting bumped or knocked into, I realized how many men (mostly overweight) were sitting on the benches and would not get up for women to sit down. I mean not only should a man offer ANY woman a seat, but he should definitely offer an older woman or pregnant woman (one week from her due date) a seat! I honestly started to think in my mind chivalry is dead....about the time I was convinced, a man got up and offered me his seat! Ronnie never sat down. He stood beside me the whole time. Even when the crowd died down and there was more than one seat, he kept standing. When we got to our table, I asked him what he thought about the men sitting and not offering the women the seats. He commented that is why he stood...so the women could sit! Even for the ones in perfect physical shape, he said it is the polite thing to do! To sum it up, no chivalry is not dead. There are men still out there like the man who gave up his seat or like Ronnie...but I think they are harder to find! Is it because mamas are not teaching their sons or is it because we live in a world that is all about "me"?

3 comments:

  1. You're right, and I think you're right about the reasons, too. Mamas don't teach as much and everything is definitely about "me". I'm glad a gentleman gave up his seat for you and restored a little of your faith in chivalry :). Hope you're feeling well. I'm sure y'all will make the transition just fine! Can't wait to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think, for the most part, that people just aren't as kind, polite, or chilvarous as you pointed out as well. Especially being in the big city, people rarely say "thank you" anymore, even when I hold the door for everyone I can. Our mamas taught us and our husbands (Meghon too!) the right way, and I'm thankful for that! I defnitely wouldn't have married a non-gentleman! I know you wouldn't have either. I'm glad someone finally gave their seat to you! Good luck with Monday, and I'll be praying for a safe delivery and healthy baby! :) Miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ashton! I just found your blog through another I was looking at. I hope you've been doing well, but it looks like things are great! Congrats on baby #2!!

    ReplyDelete