Friday, December 18, 2009

Do You Hear What I Hear?

It is official...Sara Catherine has hearing aids! We went this morning and picked them up! She is doing great with them! We have been trying to pump her up for this day, and this morning on our way over to Andalusia, we were telling her that she wouldn't have to say "huh?" or "What did you say?" anymore! She would just smile at us! When we got there, the first thing Ms. Jenny did was put the hearing aids in her ears. I could tell immediately that Sara Catherine could tell a difference. She was startled a couple of times by different noises. Ms. Jenny tested her the same way she did before the aids, and it was crazy to see how big of a difference the hearing aids were making! We can tell a difference in the littlest things. For example, we do not have to blast the radio so loud that you can't talk to the person sitting next to you or talk on a cell phone! That was the first little test Ronnie and I did when we got in the car! We played the radio at a normal level...maybe even a little lower than I would play it for myself, and she could hear it! When we left the CRS, we went to Mom's work. All of the ladies at Mom's work were so sweet. They were all making a huge deal over the hearing aids and telling Sara Catherine how pretty they were! Oh, they are light pink with sparkles (like a princess of course)!! When she would see someone she knew at Mom's works, she would move her hair back so they could see her hearing aids! I am so happy that she likes them and is proud of them! And, she wants to wear them!! Since we have been home, she has asked to take them out twice. I take them out, and within ten or so minutes, she is ready to put them back in and tells me she can't hear! I think she is realizing how much they help! She is cracking me up because I think she thinks that since she can't hear without the hearing aids that nobody else can hear! When she can hear, we can hear! She keeps asking us if we can hear her! I have even heard her talking to her baby dolls and barbies and asking them if they can hear her! Right now, she has a chair pulled up to the mirror in dining room and looking at her hearing aids. She keeps saying "Oh how pretty!" Since Ronnie has a game tonight in Union Springs, SC and I are going back to Andalusia so she can show her hearing aids to Uncle Hunter and Aunt Christin and grab a bite to eat with Nani and Pop Pop. I could not have asked for this transition to have been so smooth! I'm so excited for her! If all is still going well on Sunday, we plan on taking her to the movies to see The Princess and The Frog. I didn't want to take her before she got the hearing aids in case she couldn't hear the movie and asked the whole time, "What are did she say?" I feel like if we take her with the hearing aids and it is too loud with the aids in, then we can take them out since movie theaters are loud anyway! I think this little present just made Christmas a little sweeter, and we thank God for all of our blessings through this!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad Sara Catherine likes her hearing aids. I'm sure this has made the transition a lot easier for her. She is a beautiful girl and I know that God will bless her life in so many ways. I know that you and Ronnie are so proud. Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year! Jessica Vidich

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is Wonderful!! I am so happy that SC is excited about them! Isn't CRS a wonderful place?? They have helped us so much! Have a Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is GREAT...so glad to know that SC is adjusting so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to hear that everything is going so well! I know she is just happy to hear and y'all are happy for her to hear!!!!

    I took John Luke to have his hearing tested b/c he is SOOOOOO loud ALL the time, and he is always saying, Huh? But the doctor assures me he is fine and he's just loud b/c he's a boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow!! I just posted a comment from Kelly's Korner and our son actually got his hearing aids a week before christmas of the same year!!! How funny!!!!
    So nice to meet you!!!!
    Abi Byrd
    apeekinsidethebyrdsnest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete