Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Over the River and Through the Woods

I love traditions! I love old traditions and making new ones! It seems like Christmas is full of traditions, and I am sure almost every family has them even if they do not realize it! Now that we have a little one and one on the way, it is fun to bring back old traditions that I used to do when I was a child.

*Some of our old traditions that we have brought back to life are:
1. Making homemade wrapping paper!
2. Reading Twas the Night Before Christmas and The Nativity Story from the Bible right before
we go to bed on Christmas Eve.
3. Baking Cookies...Mom, Thad, and Sara Catherine baked & decorated Christmas cookies on
Sunday while Ronnie and I were shopping after church, but it brought back so many memories
from my childhood! I think this may be a tradition between SC and her Grandparents! :)
4. This one has never died...we didn't really start it until I was probably in junior high or high
school...Watching Christmas movies! We always watch Home Alone, A Christmas Story, and
Christmas Vacation during the Christmas season!

*Some of our new traditions that Ronnie and I have started since we have been married are:
1. Ronnie and I have swapped ornaments every Christmas since our first one married. Now that
SC is here, we each get her one, too! We exchange them on Christmas Eve. It is so fun each
year to go through the ornaments that we have gathered over the years as we decorate the
tree!
2. We drive through the Christmas lights in Enterprise! It was so fun this year! Sara
Catherine was screaming and shouting with joy at every scene!
3. Last year we sliced a piece of cake, put a candle on top, and sang Happy Birthday to Jesus.
SC really enjoyed it, and I think it is a way for a young child to remember Jesus on Christmas.

I am sure we will have many more traditions as our family grows! Here are some pictures of Sara Catherine baking cookies with Mom and Thad. Also, there are some pictures of our homemade wrapping paper making!

Nani and SC rolling out the dough!

SC patting the dough flat...getting ready to use the cookie cutters!

SC icing and decorating the cookies. Mom and Thad told us that she ate more M&Ms than she put on the cookies!

The finished product!! They turned out really cute! She picked out one for Ronnie, Caroline, and Me! SC said that I could eat Caroline's cookie since she is in my tummy!!

Pop Pop and SC painting doves. We thought it was going to be the ugliest, and it turned out to be one of the prettiest!

Helping SC with Snowflakes

Ronnie was really getting in to the painting :)

Proud of her Santa Clause!

Mom helping SC press the stencil down.

Helping wrap a gift.
Note: This Snow White dress was made for me when I was about 4 when we lived in Birmingham! It is almost 20 years old!

SC showing off the wrapping paper that she and Ronnie made! I think they tried out every stencil on this one :)

"Snow White" with the Snowflake wrapping paper she and I made!

No comments:

Post a Comment