Thursday, October 29, 2009

Results from Birmingham

Yesterday, we took Sara Catherine to Children's Hospital in B-ham for more testing and hopefully answers!! We now have answers. Not all of our questions are answered yet, and they told us they may never be answered! So the verdict....Sara Catherine has moderate to severe hearing loss in both ears, and a normally conversation sounds like a whisper to her. It can not be fixed through surgery or medicine. She will need hearing aids in both ears. She will have to go to B-ham every three months for the next year to monitor her hearing. They will see if the hearing aids are working and if her hearing is getting worse. We will have to go back to B-ham next week to see an ENT. He will do tests to try to determine how, why, and when the hearing loss happened. They have told us that those questions may never be answered. The big concern for us is if it will get worse in the future. The test next week may or may not show if her hearing is getting worse. We may have to wait and see what the future holds. The doctor says that SC is very social and has a large vocabulary, which is a good thing, and that she will need speech therapy because she pronounces some words like a child with a hearing impairment. So, we will now move forward. I am so glad that we FINALLY have answers. I feel like we have had questions for 3 years now, and nobody has taken this issue seriously. As far as Caroline goes, if she fails her hearing test in the hospital, we are supposed to call Children's right away and not wait for our doctor to tell us to go. If she passes, then they still want to check her again at 6 months. I want to thank everyone for the prayers and calls yesterday. I know that we have a huge support system, and I am very thankful for all of you. Ronnie and I were a little bummed yesterday because like every parent, we want the best for our child and want everything to be "perfect" with them. There is no such thing as perfect other than Jesus. We also agreed that there are people in this world who have children with more severe disabilities and wish that all their child needed was a pair of hearing aids. We know that God is in control and has a plan for Sara Catherine's life and there is a reason He chose her to have a hearing impairment. If any of you know Sara Catherine, you know that this will not slow her down in the least bit. She is a bubbly ball of energy that can make any room smile! With that being said, Sara Catherine also wants to thank Levi for the goody bag. It was nice having yummy treats to eat yesterday! I have attached some pictures from yesterday. After her appointment we went and ate at the Summit and did a little shopping. Then when we got home yesterday afternoon, Mom and I took SC to the fair!This picture was actually taken on Tuesday morning. It was Scarecrow day at daycare.



Her hair is braided like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz.


This was Sara Catherine's first time ever riding a ride all by herself!



This picture was taken at The Summit. She said this was her boyfriend. I asked her what was his name and she said "Daddy"!


She wanted to ride "Toto"...She is obsessed with The Wizard of Oz!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Ashton! I am sorry that SC is going through this but I am so happy that you finally have answers!! What ENT doctor are you using?? If you ever need anything, let us know! Give SC a hug from Baker!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I know it wasn't the results you were hoping for, but I'm glad you know now what the problem is and can do what is needed for her!

    God not only chose her for a reason, but chose your child for a reason too. I know He will equip you to love her in the perfect way He has for you!! It sounds like you are already doing that:)

    Love that little scarecrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless your heart--we will be praying for you guys....Give her a big hug from me and Liv!!!
    We miss you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd love to get together to let the girls play sometime!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just getting a chance to read the blog updates and I hate to hear what y'all have been dealing with:( SC is so precious and we are praying for all of you!!!

    ReplyDelete